SNARKs vs. STARKs
In Module Four, we break down the definitions of STARKs and SNARKs and analyze how they differ. Additionally, we review the components that are used to build SNARKs and STARKs, as well as the methods and processes that are used in each. This video also introduces us to our two hosts, Bobbin Threadbare (Polygon Miden) and Brendan Farmer (Polygon Zero), who will be with us for the subsequent videos. In this module, we have Brendan interviewing Bobbin on his insights working with STARKs.
What you’ll learn:
- What does STARKs and SNARKs stand for?
- What is the history of STARKs and SNARKs?
- Using AIR and R1CS for arithmetization
- Using KZG, FRI and IPA for polynomial commitment schemes
- Execution traces (and its process)
- Execution trace (and its construction)
- Low-degree extension and constraint evaluation
- Introduction to FRI polynomial commitments
Below is an accompanying reading list:
- Paper: Fast Reed-Solomon Interactive Oracle Proofs of Proximity
- Vitalik’s blog posts:
- StarkWare Sessions 2019: Swastik Kooparty – DEEP FRI
ZK Whiteboard Sessions is an educational series on all things zero knowledge. Produced by ZK Hack and powered by Polygon – we’ll be releasing a new module every week!
Get notified on latest module upload by signing up below.