Introduction to zkRollups
In Module 9, Barry Whitehat, from the Ethereum Foundation, explores how we can scale ethereum by using a zkEVM rollup. He explores EVM compatible rollups and introduces ideas about state transition representation on Layer-1 blockchains, proof of validity and multiple client diversity. Additionally, he uses examples to illustrate the introduction of EIP-4844, which would increase the number of computations and allow for a rollup centric roadmap for ethereum.
What you’ll learn:
- 0:30 – What is a ZK-rollup?
- 6:50 – Smart Contract Actions with ZKPs and State Transition Representation
- 14:12 – L1 Security for Proof of Stake
- 17:18 – Forced transactions
- 23:31 – Difference in costs between L1 and L2
- 35:40: Changes in definition of Sharding
- 37:11: How optimistic rollups work on Ethereum
- 40:05: Approach to make special ZKPs
- 44:44 Changing from Ethereum storage
- 51:48 – extcodesize
Below is an accompanying reading list:
ZK Whiteboard Sessions is an educational series on all things zero knowledge. Produced by ZK Hack and powered by Polygon – we’ll be releasing a new module every week!
Get notified on latest module upload by signing up below.